2006-09-07 - 1:07 p.m.
"Maybe we were twinks, avant la lettre"
Check out Huntington for further detail on the events of our Labor Day Weekend.
I had a great time taking the Amtrak train/bus up to San Francisco and then spending a couple of days up in Guerneville. Five days off were just what I needed, and I can't believe I hadn't seen Chris & Mark for four years. Also, the last time I had been to Guerne was maybe early 2000, long before they transformed the knottypine-shack-on-stilts in the redwoods to the sleek, tasteful, immaculate sylvannest™ that it is today (bling bling).
Some random commentary on the weekend:
- The drive to Guerneville really did feel like a Lily Bart–esque railway ride to Rhinebeck, and the sylvannest™ felt about as posh as Bellomont, though just a tad smaller. As far as reputations go, however, we already are disgraced... every last one of us.
- I wholeheartedly kissed a boy for the first time in.... let's not even go there.
- I wholegastrically puked early Saturday morning as a result of drinking way too much for the first time in.... let's not even go there. I don't regret the beef tartare with kaffir-lime oil, though.
- Felt terrible making Chris go out alone on his birthday, but the aforementioned episode made me conk out by about 9pm Saturday night. The only excuse I can think of for Mark and Huntington, though, is that they're just tired old queens.
- "Your knees are all red and you haven't even been down on them yet." [note to self: next time, liberally apply sunscreen—even the public pump variety that resembles Costco mayo—before exposure to sun.]
- I didn't ask for the pit hair biopsy. Uh, way to woo me, beard boy.... but, yeah, you were cute anyway.
- He really did that trail of piercings to himself, eh?
- Feeling desired (for the first time in let's not even go there) can be a really soothing balm for lots of existential malaise.
- "They're such a friendly people." OK, she didn't exactly say that, but the straight girl in the Santa Clara University sweatshirt at the Rainbow who said, "It's my first time! Everyone's so friendly!" may as well have.
- Remembering Chris, on his first night attending UCSB "Men's Group", circa January 1992, introducing himself by saying, "I'm Chris, and my roommate's in ROTC. [SNAP]"
- 'hah-fye-ehhwww' (aka: Rafael), the Brazilian/Moroccan Dancing Boy who will forever epitomize the weekend. Does he know how he will live in infamy?
- What the hell are all those signs for "Cow Palace" on the 101, anyway??? Well, now I know....
A final conversation:
H: Why weren't we ever twinks?
J: Um, maybe because we were too hairy and... uh... buff
H: You're probably right...
J: Or maybe we were twinks, avant la lettre
= = = = = = = = = = =